Residence Permit Types
Six types of residence permit are available for foreigners with different purposes.
1- SHORT-TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
Foreigners who fulfill accommodation conditions and have passport or passport document at least sixty days before expiration date from the end of the requested residence permit period can apply short-term residence permit for maximum of 2 years.
Foreigners who have one of the following purposes as follows can apply for the short-term residence permit:
The Conditions For Short-Term Residence Permit
2- FAMILY RESIDENCE PERMIT
Foreigners who fulfill the conditions can apply the family residence permit for 3 years providing that granted family residence permit cannot exceed the duration of the sponsor’s residence permit under any circumstances.
Foreigners who have one of the status presented as following can apply for family residence permit:
- a) foreign spouse,
- b) foreign children or foreign minor children of their spouse,
- c) dependent foreign children or dependent foreign children of their spouse, of Turkish citizens, persons within the scope of Article 28 of Law No 5901 or, foreigners holding one of the residence permits as well as refugees and subsidiary protection beneficiaries.
In cases of a polygamous marriage pursuant to the regulation in the country of citizenship, only one of the spouses shall be issued a family residence permit. However, a family residence permit may be granted to the foreigner’s children from other spouses.
For family residence permits issued to children, if any, the consent of the mother or the father who lives abroad and who shares custody shall be sought.
Family residence permits shall entitle the holder right of education in primary and secondary educational institutions until the age of 18 the without obtaining a student residence permit.
The Conditions For Family Residence Permit
To fulfill the conditions applied to the sponsor,The sponsor is required to have a valid health insurance covering all family members; have a monthly income in any case not less than the minimum wage in total corresponding not less than one third of the minimum wage per each family member; submit proof of not having been convicted of any crime against family during the five years preceding the application with a criminal record certificate; have been residing in Turkey for at least one year on a residence permit and have been registered with the address based registration system.
The following conditions shall apply to foreigners applying for a family residence permit to stay with a sponsor in Turkey,To submit supporting information and documents regarding the reason of the stay, to assert that they live or intend to live together with specified persons, to be over 18 years of age for each spouse, not to fall within the scope of Article 7, not to have entered into the marriage for the purpose of obtaining a family residence permit.
3- STUDENT RESIDENCE PERMIT
Foreigners who pursue the following educations and meet with the conditions can acquire residence permit for the period of study or one year and renewed throughout the course of their study depends on their status:
Student residence permit ensures the student to be only the supporter of spouse and children in family residence permit applications. It does not provide any right to the other relatives about residence permit.
The Conditions For Student Residence Permit
4- LONG-TERM RESIDENCE PERMIT
Foreigners who fulfill the following conditions can apply for the long-term residence permit and be granted indefinite residence permit:
The Conditions For Long Term Residence Permit
5- HUMANITARIAN RESIDENCE PERMIT
Foreigners who meet with the following conditions can apply for humanitarian residence permit for a maximum duration of one year at a time.
- – Where, notwithstanding a removal decision or ban on entering Turkey, foreigners cannot be removed from Turkey or their departure from Turkey is not reasonable or possible,
- – In the absence of a removal decision in respect of the foreigner pursuant to Article 55,
- – Where there is a judicial appeal against the actions carried out pursuant to Articles 53,72 and 77;
- – Throughout the removal actions of the applicant to the first country of asylum or a safe third country;
- – In cases when foreigners should be allowed to enter into and stay in Turkey, due to emergency or in view of the protection of the national interests as well as reasons of public order and security, in the absence of the possibility to obtain one of the other types of residence permits due to their situation that precludes granting a residence permit;
- – In extraordinary circumstances humanitarian residence permit may be issued.
The Conditions For Humanitarian Residence Permit
Conditions attached to other types of residence permits shall not be sought while issuing humanitarian residence permit.
Other Circumstances Related Humanitarian Residence Permit
Foreigners that are granted humanitarian residence permit should get registered with the address based registration system no later than twenty working days as of the issuance date.
Foreigners holding humanitarian residence permit, within the duration of this permit, may apply for one of the other residence permits, except for the long term residence permit, as long as they meet the requirements.
Durations of humanitarian residence permits shall not be added to the total duration in calculation of residence permit durations determined by the Law.
6- RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR VICTIMS OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING
A residence permit for victims of human trafficking shall be granted to foreigners who are victims of human trafficking or where there is strong circumstantial evidence that they might be victims for 30 days and renewed for 6 months periods providing that the total duration shall not exceed three years.
The Conditions For Residence Permit For Victims Of Human Trafficking
Conditions attached to other types of residence permit shall not be sought while issuing these residence permits.